Spelling Progress Bulletin. Riter index.
See Bulletin Contents and
Topics; Anthology (best of SPB)
php links go to the web page of that article. pdf links go to the whole bulletin issue. In each pdf file, click on Bookmarks to see the contents list with links. Very short book reviews and very short letters to the editor listed in the Contents are not itemized here.
Babcock. Lloyd H. Henrikson. Helen W. & Geiger. Dorothy. A Controlled Experiment to test the Effect of Teaching Reading by an Articulated or Direct Phonics Method. Spring 1967 pdf. pp2,3.
Baird. George H. The Time Has Come. Spring 1978 pdf. pp5-7.
Baker. Richard (BBC). Duke of Edinburgh Interview. Spring 1970 pdf. pp10,11.
Baker. Marvin. Simply Silly. edited. Summer 1969. p15.
Baker. Robert G. Spelling Reform & the Psychological Reality of English Spelling Rules. Summer 1980. pp17-20.
- Third SSS Conference: An Experimental Study of Attitudes Towards English Spelling Reform. Spring 1983 pp6-11.
Bakowski. S. Reading and Writing in English. Fall 1980. p14.
Barkley. William. The Two Englishes. Spring 1965 pdf. pp2-11.
- A 20th Century Look at the 'New English' of 1066. Summer 1967 pdf. pp2,3.
Barnard. Harvie. see Journal,
- Reading and Spelling - How are they Related? Fall 1971 pdf. p2.
- Is Improvement in Reading a Major Goal of Schools? Spring 1972 pdf. p8.
- The Consequences of Serious Reading Problems for the child, the school and society. Spring 1972 pdf. pp9,10.
- Reading. an Uncomplex and Useful Definition/Explanation. Fall 1972 pdf. p4.
- Direct Consequences of Serious Reading Problems in the Schools. Fall 1972 pdf. p5.
- Basic Problems in Education: Reading. Spelling & Communication. Winter 1972 pdf. pp4,10.
- Book reviews. Diserroneosospellingitis Dissertations. Winter 1972 pdf. p16.
- Who's Leading Who, or the Saga of the Goter and the Goatee. Summer 1973 pdf. p10.
- Research in Reading; Grassroots Variety. Fall 1974 pdf. pp4-7.
- Causes of Crime - 1: Illiteracy and its Roots. Fall 1976 pdf. pp16-18.
- Frustration. the Basic Roadblock to Lerning and Teaching. Winter 1976 pdf. p19.
- What is Reading? an Answer. Spring 1977 pdf. p16.
- The Three F's of Education - Frustration. Fear. Failure. Spring 1977 pdf. pp16-18.
- Those Dropping Test Scores. Summer 1977 pdf. pp12,13.
- A Condensed Summary of Reasons For and Against Orthographic Simplification. Summer 1977 pdf. pp14,15.
- From Thought to Communication. poem. Summer 1977 pdf. p16.
- *LIFE*. a Practical Course in Communications for International Use. (*Lojical International Fonetic English*). Fall 1977 pdf. pp8-10.
- Visualization, the Base of Learning - Human Programming. Winter 1977 pdf. p13.
- A New Approach to Education via the Organic Computer. Summer 1979 pdf. pp9-12.
- Arson and other Crimes. Winter 1980 pdf. pp6-9.
- A Letter to Grandpa, by Timmie A. Dropout. Spring 1981. p20.
- Simplified Spelling or Spelling Reform - Who's Interested? Fall 1981 pdf. p5.
- A Proposal for the Implementation of a Rationalized Form of English Spelling. Winter 1981 pdf. pp18,19.
- A reply to Timmie A. Dropout. Spring 1982. pp20,19.
- A Fully Planned Program for the Implementation of Spelling Reform. Winter 1982. p1.
- Third SSS Conference: The inevitability of change: the happy alternative. Winter 1982. pp17-19,1.
- The Costly Extravagance of an Educational System Based upon Confusing Spelling. Spring 1983. pp18,19.
- Spellin' Bees are the Most Wunnerful Part. Fall 1983. pp17,18.
- Timmie's Response (2nd Letter) to Grandpa. Fall 1983. pp19,1.
- Understanding The Basic Psychology of Learning. Winter 1983. p8.
Barnitz. John G. Linguistic and Cultural Perspectives on Spelling Irregularity & comments by Sir James Pitman and Donald G. Scragg. Winter 1980 pdf. pp10-14.
- Spelling Irregularity. Spelling Reform. and Learning to Read Meaningfully. a Commentary. Summer 1981 pdf. pp2,20.
- Some proposed Principles for Simplifying English Orthography. Summer 1980. pp7-13.
- Third SSS Conference: The Effects of Spelling Change on the Adult Reader. Spring 1983. pp11-18.
Bennett. Arthur. Under the SPELL of English. Jun 1963 pdf. p19.
Benton. William. Education in Red China. Mar 1962 pdf. pp8-10,29.
Bercik. Janet T. Unlock the Door to Spelling. Summer 1983. pp11-13.
Better Homes & Gardens. Your child can't read: How can you help? Spring 1973 pdf. pp2,4.
Betts. Emmett Albert. Reading Instruction: Chaotic or Utopian. Winter 1972 pdf. pp7-10.
- Reading: Interpreting Graphic Signals. Spring 1973 pdf. p12.
- Research on Orthographies: Priorities. Summer 1973 pdf. pp15-17.
- Linguistics: a Basis of Orthography. Winter 1973 pdf. p2.
- Reading: Phonemic Basis of Word Perception. Winter 1973 pdf. pp10-16.
- Phonics: Methods and Orthography. Spring 1974 pdf. pp2-6.
- Phonics: Methods and Orthography. Summer 1974 pdf. pp7-12.
- Beginning Reading: Shapes of the Letters. Fall 1974 pdf. pp2,3.
- Viewpoints. Fall 1974 pdf. p13.
- Orthography: Phonemes and Dictionary Respellings. Fall 1974 pdf. p13.
- Viewpoints II. Winter 1974 pdf. pp15,16.
- Reading: Linguistic Guidelines. Winter 1974 pdf. pp16,17.
- Reading: Bidialectalism. Spring 1975 pdf. pp7,8.
- Word Perception: Processes and Medium. Fall 1975 pdf. pp8,9.
- Viewpoints III. Fall 1975 pdf. pp17,18.
- The Study of Speech Sounds. Winter 1975 pdf. pp17,19.
- Viewpoints IV: on Spelling Reform. Spring 1976 pdf. pp6-10.
- Spelling and Phonics. Summer 1976 pdf. pp10-17.
- Sight Words and/or Phonics. Fall 1976 pdf. pp2-7.
- Word Perception: Imagery. Fall 1976 pdf. p7.
- Stress: Syllable and Phrase. Winter 1976 pdf. pp2,3.
- Stress Phenomena: a Delineation. Winter 1976 pdf. pp3,4.
- Five Fundamental Vowel Sounds. Winter 1976 pdf. pp4,5.
- Tense and Lax Vowels. Winter 1976 pdf. p5.
- Function Words: Grammatical Indicators. Spring 1977 pdf. pp12-15.
- Spelling and Phonics II. Summer 1977 pdf. pp2.3.
- Sounds and Phonograms II & III (Variant Spellings). Summer 1977 pdf. pp4-6.
- Readability. Fall 1977 pdf. pp2-5.
- Readability: Linguistic Factors. Fall 1977 pdf. 5-8.
- Eagerness to Learn. Winter 1977 pdf. pp11,12.
- Accent on Teaching. Winter 1977 pdf. p14.
- Book review. Regularized English. Regularized Inglish. by Axel Wijk. Winter 1977 pdf. pp16-18.
- Book review. A History of English Spelling. by D. G. Scragg. Winter 1977 pdf. p19.
- Speech and Word Perception. Summer 1978 pdf. p1.
- Teacher Competence: Phonemics, Orthographics and Perception. Summer 1978 pdf. pp18,19.
- Teacher Competence: Phonics Quotient. Summer 1978 pdf. p19.
- Word Perception: Strategies and Tactics. Summer 1978 pdf. pp24-26.
- Reading: A Class is Plural. Winter 1978 pdf. pp13-16.
- Reading/Writing: Decoding/Encoding. Spring 1979 pdf. pp2-5.
- Word Perception: Bases of Orthographic Decoding. Summer 1979 pdf. pp17-19.
- Second SSS Conference: List of 54 Orthographies: 1974. Fall 1979. pp16,17.
- Second SSS Conference: Graphic R. Winter 1979. pp6-18.
- Perceptual Learning: Phonics Countdown. Summer 1981 pdf. pp13-17.
- Book review. English Illiteracy. Deification of Decadence by Vic Paulsen. Fall 1981 pdf. p18.
- Book reviews. 3 books by Raymond E. Laurita. Fall 1981 pdf. pp19,20.
- IRA Convention. Special Interest Group. Reading: Orthography and Word Perception. Summer 1982. pp1-4.
- IRA Convention. The First Essential in Reading Improvement. Summer 1982. pp5,6.
- IRA Convention. Differentiated Instruction: The Teacher. Summer 1982. pp6,7.
- IRA Convention. Position Papers of Special Interest Group Members on Spelling Reform. Summer 1982. p9.
- IRA Convention. The Functions & The Objectives of the Special Interest Group of IRA. Summer 1982. pp17-19,1.
- Word Perception is more than phonics. Summer 1983. pp2,3.
- Individualized Reading - Pupil Achievement. Summer 1983. pp3,4.
- Reading by Structures: General Considerations. Summer 1983. p5.
- Directed Reading Activities: Strategy and Tactics in Conclusion. Summer 1983. p6.
- Learning Word-Perception Skills: II Cue Learning. Fall 1983. p10.
- Word-Perception Skills: III Probability Learning. Fall 1983. pp10-12.
Betts. Katherine P. Book review. The Evolution of Language. by Rostam Keyan. Summer 1979 pdf. p19.
- Second SSS Conference: Language. Orthography and the Schwa. Fall 1979. pp11-17.
- Reading: Spellings (Phonics) and Word Perception. Fall 1981. p6.
- IRA Convention. Special Interest Group. Reading: Orthography and Word Perception. Summer 1983. pp1,2.
Black. Jerrilyn & Henderson. Ellen C. This Pore Ol' Mixed-up Alphabet. Jun 1961 pdf. pp13-15.
Black. Elsie. A Study of the Consonant Situations in a Primary Reading Vocabulary. Summer 1981 pdf. pp3-5.
Blaine. Mrs. Edward. A Free Offer. Mar 1961 pdf. p17.
Boehm. Evelyn F. An Apologetic Parody. a poem. Mar 1962 pdf. p34.
Boer. Eleonore. English is More Than Just English. Jun 1963 pdf. pp8,9.
Bold. J. D. Fanagalo (Kitchen Kafir). the Lingua Franca of Southern Africa. Oct 1963 pdf. pp16-18.
Bonnema. Helen. Also listed as Helen Bisgard and Helen Bonnema Bisgard. See Journal,
- Writing by Sound. a New Method of Teaching Reading. Mar 1961 pdf. pp9,10.
- Report on the Kindergarten Pre-Reading Instruction Experiment. Oct 1961 pdf. pp2,3?.
- Writing English Around the World. Mar 1963 pdf. pp13-15.
- i.t.a. will be t.o. in 2022. Spring 1967 pdf. pp4,5.
- Teaching English in Bantu Primary Schools. by Prof. L. W. Lanham. review. Summer 1967 pdf. pp17,18.
- What is Reading. Spring 1970 pdf. pp18,19.
- Book review. Linguistics in the Elementary School. by Paul S. Anderson. Fall 1971 pdf. p14.
- Book review. Effective Teaching of Reading. by A. J. Harris & Edward R. Sipay. Fall 1971 pdf. p16.
- A Glance Toward Norway. Winter 1971 pdf. pp11-13.
- Book review. The New Horizon Ladder Dictionary. by John Robert Shaw & Janet Shaw. Winter 1971 pdf. p17.
- Book review. English Spelling, Roadblock to Reading by Godfrey Dewey. Spring 1972 pdf. pp18,19.
- English Versus the Near-East Languages. Summer 1972 pdf. pp2,3.
- Ways the I.R.A. can Encourage Orthographic Reform. an interview with Millard Black. President Elect. I.R.A. Summer 1972 pdf. pp11-13.
- Language Reform in the Netherlands. Fall 1972 pdf. pp14,15.
- Fonemic Spelling Council. successor to Simpler Spelling Association. Winter 1972 pdf. p20.
- Shall we teach skills to embrace rather than attack words? Interview with Arnold Burron. Spring 1973 pdf. pp7-9.
- Phonemic Spelling Council announcement. Spring 1973 pdf. p18.
- Obscure Events in History: Anecdotes from Harry Veenstra's Autobiography. edited. Summer 1973 pdf. pp3-5.
- Book review. i.t.a. as a Tool for Preventing Cumulative Language Deficit in Disadvantaged Children. by Eleanor R. Kirkland & Frank Bautista. Summer 1973 pdf. pp18,19.
- Book review. Escape to Elysium. by Dr. L. J. J. Nye. Summer 1973 pdf. p19.
- Drop the Dumb /b/. Fall 1973 pdf. p16.
- Just for the pun of it. Winter 1973 pdf. pp3-5.
- Talks given at International Reading Association Convention in New Orleans. May 1-4. 1974. Summer 1974 pdf. pp18-20.
- Report on Educational Records Bureau Conference. Winter 1974 pdf. p1.
- Sample of the Initial Teaching form of WES. boihuud difficultyz in the 1890'z. Harry M. Veenstra. Winter 1976 pdf. pp9-12.
- An Explanation of Vowels Followed by /r/ in World English Spelling (I.L.M.). compiled. Summer 1977 pdf. p16.
- The Italian "a" Controversy. Fall 1977 pdf. pp11-13.
- Book review. Crazy Talk, Stupid Talk. by Neil Postman. Winter 1977 pdf. pp19,20.
- Book review. Relative Frequency of English Spellings. by Godfrey Dewey. Winter 1978 pdf. pp18,19.
- Reaction to Ives' 'Acceptability of Proposed Spelling Reforms'. Summer 1979 pdf. p1.
- Second SSS Conference Report. IRA Convention Report. Winter 1979. p1.
- Modern Technology and Spelling Reform. Winter 1979. p4.
- In Defense of a Separate Phoneme for Unstressed Shwa. Winter 1979. p5.
- Written Dialects n Spelling Reforms by Kenneth H. Ives. review. Winter 1979. p20.
Bonnema. Helen. et al. What Reading is Primary in Secondary Schools? a round table discussion. Spring 1973 pdf. pp10-12.
Bowyer. Helen. The Worm at the Root. Mar 1961 pdf. p18.
- English Rime Words. Mar 1961 pdf. p20.
- How You Say It? Por Favor? Jun 1961 pdf. p4.
- These English Words of Ours. Jun 1961 pdf. p9.
- From The Caribbean. Oct 1961. pp14-16?. Not available.
- A Word Or Twain To Dr. P. Dantick. Oct 1961. pp21,22?. Not available.
- A Report on the Amidon School. Dec 1961 pdf. pp19-21.
- The Outcry of Professor Ann T. Quarian. Dec 1961 pdf. p24.
- Tomorrow's Illiterates. a review. Mar 1962 pdf. pp17-22.
- The Worm at the Root. Mar 1962 pdf. p30.
- What Ivan Knows That Johnny Doesn't. review. Jun 1962 pdf. pp12-15.
- Lament of Professor P. Dantick. Jun 1962 pdf. p22.
- Who Will Volunteer? Oct 1962 pdf. pp20.
- "tw bee or not to be", by John Downing. review. Oct 1962 pdf. pp21-23.
- And now Professor O. Howe Erudight. Oct 1962 pdf. p28.
- Africa Needs Phonemic English. Dec 1962 pdf. pp13-16.
- Watch Out for China. Jun 1963 pdf. pp14,15.
- Reviews of new books. Jun 1963 pdf. p19.
- The Teaching of English in Africa. Oct 1963 pdf. pp10-15.
- The Stupidity Problem. Dec 1963 pdf. pp12-14.
- Reviews of new books. The Open Court Readers. by Priscilla L. McQueen and Arther S. Trace. Jr. Dec 1963 pdf. p22.
- The Babes of '64. Mar 1964 pdf. pp6,7,14.
- Review of new books. The Early-to-Read i/t/a Program.. Mar 1964 pdf. pp16,17.
- The Triple Revolution. Summer 1964 pdf. pp18-21.
- Review of new books. Spell it Right by Harry Shaw. Summer 1964 pdf. p22.
- Book reviews. i/t/a Books Six and Seven by Tanyzer and Mazurkiewicz. Fall 1964 pdf. p18.
- Book reviews. Phonics in Proper Perspective by Arthur W. Heilman. Fall 1964 pdf. p19.
- Where is our Business Sense, our Knowhow? Winter 1964 pdf. pp4,5.
- Prof. P. Dantick's Dictum on Spelling. Winter 1964 pdf. p15.
- Book reviews. i/t/a books # 1a and 1b. Dinosaur Ben, Houses. Winter 1964 pdf. p19.
- Book reviews. i.t.a. in Oldham. Spring 1965 pdf. pp20-23.
- Our Wealth of English Homonyms. Spring 1965 pdf. p24.
- Book reviews. the douning reeding sceem, bie jon douning. Summer 1965 pdf. pp18,19.
- Book reviews. Reading Without Dick and Jane by Arther S. Trace, Jr. Summer 1965 pdf. pp19,20.
- Book reviews. The OpenCourt Basic Readers by Arther S. Trace, Jr. Fall 1965 pdf. pp16,17.
- Book reviews. Let's Read Series for Beginners by Clarence L. Barnhart. Winter 1965 pdf. pp22,23,1.
- Let's Face the Future Now. Spring 1966 pdf. pp5,6
- Then ... Why? Summer 1966 pdf. p11.
- Microminiaturization is a Word to Ponder. Summer 1966 pdf. pp14,15.
- Book Reviews. We Cuud Havv Guud Speling. F.C. Laubach. Fall 1966 pdf. pp21-23.
- Book Reviews. Instant Spelling. L. Bernhard. Fall 1966 pdf. pp21-23.
- Book Reviews. Fonetic English Spelling. T. Rohner. Fall 1966 pdf. pp21-23.
- The Wealth of i.t.a. Reading Teaching Material. review. Winter 1966 pdf. pp20,21.
- Spelling and the Dictionary. Spring 1967 pdf. p22.
- Book reviews. Teaching English in Bantu Primary Schools. L.W. Lanham. Summer 1967 pdf. p20.
- Book reviews. The oeldham reeders Maurice Harrison. Summer 1967 pdf. pp19,20.
- The Fateful Moment. Winter 1967 pdf. pp10-12.
- The Siberian Olympiads. Summer 1968 pdf. pp7,8.
- Book reviews. The Next 100 Years by Dr. Azimov. Fall 1968 pdf. pp17,18.
- Book reviews. Phonics in Learning to Read. by Ellen C. Henderson. Winter 1968 pdf. p16.
- What Happens in Grade One? Summer 1969 pdf. p14.
- Upsetting the Alphabet Cart: a Rejoinder. Spring 1970 pdf. pp11,12.
Boyd. Eva. Ten Years with i.t.a. in California. Summer 1977 pdf. pp9-11.
Boyle. Lewis H. A Foreigner Looks at English Spelling. Jun 1961 pdf. pp8,9.
- Our Double-track Language. Summer 1967 pdf. pp7-9.
- Ye Very Peculiar Y (The Veri Pecyulyar Wi). Spring 1969 pdf. pp15-17.
- Touching all bases. Summer 1970 pdf. pp13,14.
- The Whimsical W. Summer 1972 pdf. pp13,14.
Brooks. Colin P. Third SSS Conference: Computer transliteration of shorthand. Fall 1982. pp15-19.
Brown. Joseph E. The Sounds of Language - an Added Dimension in Reading Instruction. Fall 1983. pp2-9.
Brown. Neville. Third SSS Conference: Semantic aspects of spelling reform. Winter 1982. pp2,3.
Brown. Roger. The History of Writing and Disputes about Reading. Spring 1972. pp10-16.
Buchan. Vivian. Phoney phonetics. Spring 1966 pdf. p6.
Bueker. Elizabeth A. The History of First Grade Reading in the Public Schools of St. Louis. Mo. Winter 1965 pdf. pp2-13.
Burt. Sir Cyril. Overcoming the Difficulties of the Printed Word. Oct 1962 pdf. p24.
Bushnell. Margaret. Special Report on Methods used on Retarded Educables. compiled. Summer 1965 pdf. pp10-13.
Bushnell. Margaret & Prior. Patricia. Operation New Start. Summer 1966 pdf. p5.
- Second SSS Conference: A Multisensory Approach to the Teaching & Learning of Spelling. Spring 1980. pp18,19.