Spelling Progress Bulletin. Topics.See Bulletin Contents, Bulletin Riters, Anthology (best of SPB) Contents and Authors.
php links go to the web page of that article. pdf links go to the whole bulletin issue. In each pdf file, click on Bookmarks to see the contents list with links.
- Laterality Characteristics and Reading. M.M. Clark. Spring 1970 pdf. pp7,8.
- What is Reading. H. Bonnema. Spring 1970 pdf. pp18,19.
- Reading and Spelling - How are they Related? H. Barnard. Fall 1971 pdf. p2.
- Something of What Reading Means. Louis Foley. Fall 1971 pdf. pp10,11.
- Improving our Understanding of the Decoding-Encoding Relationship. R.E. Laurita. Summer 1972 pdf. pp3-5.
- "Reading," an Uncomplex and Useful Definition/Explanation. H. Barnard. Fall 1972 pdf. p4.
- Reading: Interpreting Graphic Signals. E.A. Betts. Spring 1973 pdf. p12.
- Predicting Reading Difficulty from Spelling. M.D. Jacobson. Spring 1974 pdf. pp8-10.
- Beginning Reading: Shapes of the Letters. E.A. Betts. Fall 1974 pdf. pp2,3.
- Reading: Linguistic Guidelines. E.A. Betts. Winter 1974 pdf. pp16,17.
- Reading: Bidialectalism. E.A. Betts. Spring 1975 pdf. pp7,8.
- What is Reading? N.W. Tune. Winter 1977 pdf. p10.
- Spelling and Reading: How are They Related? L. Fay. Summer 1978 pdf. pp11,12.
- Reading: A Class is Plural. E.A. Betts. Winter 1978 pdf. pp13-16.
- Reading/Writing: Decoding/Encoding. E.A. Betts. Spring 1979 pdf. pp2-5.
- What do we really need in teaching reading? J. Pitman. Spring 1980. pp16-18.
- Reading and Writing in English. S. Bakowski. Fall 1980. p14.
- Syllabic Generalizations: Help or Hindrance to Communication? D. McFeely. Summer 1981 pdf. pp18-20.
- Self-Observation in the Remedial Reading Classroom. M.F. Castelucci. Fall 1981 pdf. p3.
- Reading: Spellings (Phonics) and Word Perception. K.P. Betts. Fall 1981 pdf. p6.
- Reading: Orthography and Word Perception. E.A. Betts. Summer 1982. pp2-4,1.
- The First Essential in Reading Improvement. E.A. Betts. Summer 1982. pp5,6.
- The Sounds of Language -
an Added Dimension in Reading Instruction. J.E. Brown. Fall 1983. pp2-9.
- Two Teaching Experiments. N.W. Tune. Mar 1961 pdf. pp6-10.
- Result of the Questionnaire on Spelling Reform. N.W. Tune. Dec 1961 pdf. pp23,24.
- Experimental Investigation of Use of a Phonemic Notation for the First Teaching. G. Dewey. Jun 1962 pdf. pp2,3.
- Primary Reading Program, Washington School District, Phoenix, Ariz. Jun 1962 pdf. pp10,11.
- Spelling Skill as a By-product of Instruction in Reading. R.P. Doyle. Oct 1962 pdf. pp5,6.
- An Experiment in Education with the Laubach Literacy Course of Study on Films. D.W. Allen. Oct 1962 pdf. 10-19.
- A Test of Adequacy. M. Johnson. Phonetic Keys to Reading, Curriculum Foundation Series. Mar 1963 pdf. pp2-6.
- Abstract: Phoneme-Grapheme Relationships Basic to Cues for Improvement of Spelling. P.R. Hanna. Oct 1963 pdf. p26.
- Phonetic Approach or Conventional Method - Which is more Effective? A. Hughes. Fall 1965 pdf. pp14,15.
- Research in Reading. L.G. Davis. Fall 1966 pdf. p20.
- Reading New Words - a Test of Phonic Substitution. H.W. Henrikson. & D. Geiger. Winter 1966 pdf. pp2-5.
- A Controlled Experiment to test the Effect of Teaching Reading by an Articulated or Direct Phonics Method. L.H. Babcock, H.Henrikson, D.Geiger. Spring 1967 pdf. pp2-3.
- Needed: Research in Spelling - not Reading. L.G. Davis. Summer 1967 pdf. p23.
- Research Indicates i.t.a. Successful. I. Rose. Winter 1967 pdf. pp9,1.
- Book Reviews. Children Who Read Early. D. Durkin. Revew by R.E. Laurita. Winter 1967 pdf. pp17,18.
- Appraising Reading Research. L.G. Davis. Winter 1968 pdf. pp17,18.
- An Experiment in Methodology Using a Phonetic Alphabet. B. Tudor-Hart. Spring 1969 pdf. pp2-10.
- Babies write a new social code. A. Pacey. Summer 1970 pdf. pp9,10.
- A Black Mark for Teacher. A. Pacey. Summer 1970 pdf. pp11,12.
- Spelling Difficulty - a Survey of the Research. L.S. Cahen, M.J. Craun, S.K. Johnson. Summer 1972 pdf. pp6-11.
- A Re-examination of W. R. Lee's "Spelling Irregularity and Reading Difficulty in English". J. Downing. Fall 1972 pdf. pp2-4.
- Research on Orthographies: Priorities. E.A. Betts. Summer 1973 pdf. pp15-17.
- Needed Research in Orthography. M. Lester. Spring 1974 pdf. pp7,8.
- Experimental Analysis of Reading, Spelling, and Printing in the First Grade. E.B. Coleman. Summer 1974 pdf. pp13-18.
- Research in Reading; Grassroots Variety. H. Barnard. Fall 1974 pdf. pp5-7.
- English Orthography as Conspicuous Consumption. A.F. Citron. Winter 1976 pdf. pp6-8.
- Back to the Basics is Bunk (Schools not using reading research). D. Danylchuk. Summer 1979 pdf. pp7,8.
- Research on Spelling Reform. J. Downing. Spring 1980. pp8,9.
- The Effects of a Simplified Spelling on Children's Readiness to Read. D.V. Thackray. Spring 1980. pp10-12.
- Patterns of Spelling Errors: Some Problems of Test Design. D. Moseley. Winter 1980. pp17,18.
- A Study of the Consonant Situations in a Primary Reading Vocabulary. E. Black. Summer 1981 pdf. pp3-5.
- A Study of the Vowel Situations in a Primary Reading Vocabulary. R.E. Oaks. Summer 1981 pdf. p6-12.
- The Evolution and Use of a Phonemically Consistent Alphabet. J.H. Martin. Winter 1981 pdf. pp7-10.
- Spelling difficulty in school leavers and adults. D. Perin. Fall 1982. pp2-4.
- Semantic aspects of spelling reform. N. Brown. Winter 1982. pp2,3.
- Are there Limitations on phonics Rules? P. Groff. Summer 1983. pp10,11.
- More Obstacles to the Use of Intensive Phonics. N.W Tune. Summer 1983. p11.
- Spelling and Handwriting: Is there a Relationship? M.N. Milone, Jr., J.A. Wilhide, & T.M. Wasylyk. Summer 1983. pp14-16.
- Spellings in Commerce:
Logical? Anathema? A.J. Mazurkiewiez. Summer 1983. pp17-20.
- British and American Spelling. N.W. Tune. Winter 1964 pdf. pp2,3.
- Relativity and Spelling - Two Departures from Logic. J.E. Chappell. Winter 1964 pdf. pp6-10.
- The Spelling of Geographical Names. K.H. Lavender. Summer 1969 pdf. pp6,7.
- Analogy in English Spelling. D.G. Scragg. Winter 1979. pp19,20.
- Spelling as a Language Art. G.H. Frith & J.W. Mitchell. Winter 1980 pdf. pp2-4.
- If You're Not a Spelling Genius, Beware of Friday. P. McCune Irvine. Fall 1981 pdf. pp14,15.
- Spellin' Bees are the Most
Wunnerful Part of Getting Educated. H. Barnard. Fall 1983. p17.