Spelling Progress Bulletin. Topics.See Bulletin Contents, Bulletin Riters, Anthology (best of SPB) Contents and Authors.
php links go to the web page of that article. pdf links go to the whole bulletin issue. In each pdf file, click on Bookmarks to see the contents list with links.
- The Parable of the Flies. R.D. Owen. Mar 1961 pdf. p19.
- Numeric Reform in Nescioubia. C.H. Grandgent. Fall 1964 pdf. pp5,6.
- Gullible's Adventures in Crazyland. Howie Gona Soundit. Summer 1965 pdf. pp14,15.
- Teaching Rover to Read. Brenna Lorenz. Spring 1970 pdf. p3.
- A Tragic Tale. David Donaldson. Spring 1973 pdf. p4.
- Mark Twain on Simplified Spelling. Fall 1975 pdf. pp10,11.
- What is a Cow? (for advanced students of English or
engineers). Fall 1975 pdf. p11.
Phonics etc. See
Phonemic Spelling Council.
- Phonemic Spelling Council, successor to Simpler Spelling Association. Winter 1972 pdf. p20.
- Phonemic Spelling Council announcement. Spring 1973 pdf. p18.
- I.R.A. - Phonemic Spelling Council Convention Institute. Spring 1974 pdf. p1
- Meeting notice. I.R.A. - Phonemic Spelling Council. Winter 1975 pdf. p1
Talks given at the annual meeting of the Educational Records Bureau:
- Introductory remarks. R.S. Levine. Spring 1978 pdf. p2.
- An Alternative Initial Learning Medium, World English Spelling. G. Dewey. Spring 1978 pdf. pp3-5.
- The Time Has Come. G.H. Baird. Spring 1978 pdf. pp5-7.
- Problems and Promises in Reading Instruction. B.B. Sparkman. Spring 1978 pdf. pp7-9.
- Phonemic Spelling Council, successor to Simpler Spelling
Association. Spring 1978 pdf. p1.
Poems and Stories.
- Poems in Frank le Feu's scheme, Eurospelling.
Problems caused by poor literacy.
- Illiteracy, Its Cause and Cure. R. Deans. Jun 1962 pdf. pp4,5.
- Spelling, Reading and Delinquency. J. Chwast. Oct 1962 pdf. pp7-9.
- If You Have Tears. S.C. Seegay. Oct 1962 pdf. p26.
- The Reading Problem and the National Interest. A.S. Trace, Jr. Dec 1963 pdf. pp2-6.
- The Stupidity Problem. Reading problems for low IQ. Harper's Magazine. J. Fischer. Revew by H. Bonnema. Dec 1963 pdf. pp12,13.
- The Babes of '64. H. Bowyer. Mar 1964 pdf. pp6,7,14.
- Let's Face the Future Now. H. Bowyer. Spring 1966 pdf. pp5,6.
- Random Thoughts on Language Simplification. C.K.H. Chen. Summer 1966 pdf. p4.
- The Slow Learner, Reading Ability, and English Spelling. A. Tauber. & J.T. Golden. Winter 1968 pdf. pp2-4.
- What Happens in Grade One? H.E. Bowyer. Summer 1969 pdf. p14.
- Direct Consequences of Serious Reading Problems in the Schools. H. Barnard. Fall 1972 pdf. p7.
- Causes for the common mistakes in English. K. Pushpanadham. Spring 1973 pdf. pp5,6.
- The Summer Reading Course. G. S. Mudambadithaya. Spring 1973 pdf. p6.
- Reading Failures, Dropouts, Delinquency & Crime, part I. N.W. Tune. Fall 1973 pdf. pp2-5,18.
- Reading Failures, Dropouts, Delinquency & Crime, part II. N.W. Tune. Winter 1973 pdf. pp6-9,20.
- The Causes of Illiteracy & Recommendations for Action. V. Yule. Winter 1975 pdf. pp3-10.
- Illiteracy. Is English Spelling a Significant Factor? M. Chaplin. SSS Conf paper. Winter 1975. pp11,12,16.
- Illiteracy: a short cut to crime. C.M. Phillips. Summer 1976. p1.
- Causes of Crime - 1: Illiteracy and its Roots. H. Barnard. Fall 1976 pdf. pp16-18,15.
- Frustration, the Basic Roadblock to Lerning and Teaching. H. Barnard. Winter 1976 pdf. pp19,20.
- The Three F's of Education - Frustration, Fear, Failure'. H. Barnard. Spring 1977 pdf. pp16-18.
- Those Dropping Test Scores. H. Barnard. Summer 1977 pdf. pp12,13.
- The Right to Read and Write. R.E. Laurita. Winter 1977 pdf. p2.
- Illiteracy and the Navy. Vice Admiral J.D. Watkins. Winter 1977 pdf. pp14,15,20,1.
- Why Some Blacks are Successful and Others are Failures. I.J. Martin. Summer 1978 pdf. pp2-9.
- English Orthography: a Case of Psychological Child Abuse. A.Citron. Fall 1978. pp2-5.
- Causes of Failure in the Schools. I. & N.W. Tune. Summer 1980. p1.
- Arson and other Crimes. H. Barnard. Winter 1980 pdf. pp6-9.
- Violence and disruption in the classroom. S.I. Connor. Spring 1981 pdf. p1
Problems with English spelling.
- An Analysis of Spelling Errors, a new Slant. N.W. Tune. Mar 1961 pdf. pp2-5.
- Some Thoughts on the Best Method of Teaching Reading. N.W. Tune. Jun 1961 pdf. p5.
- This Pore Ol' Mixed-up Alphabet. J. Black, E.C. Henderson. Jun 1961 pdf. pp13-15.
- all - or nothing - for johnny. s.c. seegay. Dec 1961 pdf. pp16,17.
- Tomorrow's Illiterates. Revew. H. Bowyer. Mar 1962 pdf. pp17-22.
- Thoze Spelling Deemuns. R.D. Owen. Mar 1962 pdf. pp23-25.
- The Corpse in the Ivy Towers. V.N. Crasnoff. Mar 1962 pdf. pp26-28.
- Wy Jonnie Cant Spel. F.W. Davids. Dec 1962 pdf. p4.
- I Wish I knew the Rule. 'i before e'. J.P. Shepard. Dec 1962 pdf. p21.
- Writing English Around the World. H.V. Bonnema. Mar 1963 pdf. pp13-15.
- Can We Catch Up With Russian Education. C. Hotson. Jun 1963 pdf. pp6,7.
- This Side of the Sun. R.F. Phat Greattinger. Jun 1963 pdf. p19.
- How Does One Learn to Read? N.W. Tune. Mar 1964 pdf. pp8-10.
- Reviews of New Books. Spell it Right. H. Shaw. Revew by H. Bowyer. Summer 1964 pdf. p22.
- Our Double-track Language. L.H. Boyle. Summer 1967 pdf. pp7-9.
- English has more Rime than Reason. J.L. Julian. Summer 1967 pdf. p12.
- Learning to Spell. J. O'Connor. Summer 1968 pdf. pp16,17.
- Is Remedial Reading Necessary? R.E. Laurita. Fall 1968 pdf. pp4,5.
- One of our Three R's is in Trouble - an Answer to What's Wrong with our Three R's. N.W. Tune. Winter 1968 pdf. pp5-8.
- Book Reviews. The Sound Patterns of English. N. Chomsky & M. Halle. Revew by I. Darreg. Winter 1968 pdf. p15,16.
- Toward Mastery of Spelling. M. Johnson. Fall 1971 pdf. pp5,6.
- Reasoning, Rhetoric and 'Rithmetic - the Essential 3 R's. William W. Murphy. Fall 1971 pdf. pp6,15.
- The Quelling Fear of Wording. D.N. Everingham. Spring 1972 pdf. pp1,16.
- Is: Improvement in Reading a Major Goal of Schools? H. Barnard. Spring 1972 pdf. pp8,9.
- The Consequences of Serious Reading Problems, for the child, the school, and society. H. Barnard. Spring 1972 pdf. pp9,10.
- Basic Problems in Education: Reading, Spelling & Communication. H. Barnard. Winter 1972 pdf. pp4,10.
- Reading Instruction: Chaotic or Utopian. E.A. Betts. Winter 1972 pdf. pp7-10.
- Can a child be taught to spell? C.E. Lutkin. Spring 1976 pdf. p1.
- One Alphabet for Reading and Writing English. G. Hildreth. Spring 1977 pdf. pp10,11.
- Why Johnny Still Can't Learn to Read. N.W. Tune. Summer 1977 pdf. p13.
- It's Easy to Speak, Tough to Write Right. S.J. Harris. Summer 1979 pdf. p13.
- Linguistic and Cultural Perspectives on Spelling
Irregularity. J.G. Barnitz.
Winter 1980 pdf. pp10-13.
Comments. J. Pitman. D.C. Scragg. N.W. Tune. Winter 1980 pdf. pp13,14.
Reply: Spelling Irregularity, Spelling Reform, and Learning to Read Meaningfully, a Commentary. J.G. Barnitz. Summer 1981 pdf. pp2,20.
- Summary of Ten Disasters to English Literacy. J. Pitman.
Winter 1981 pdf. pp17-18.