JACK BOVILL outlines his aims for the presentation he made to the committee in January. A report on the presentation appears below.My aim was to present, interactively with those present, two features:
A: Whatever is the SSS's final view of simplifying spelling will receive my support thruout the process of implementation.
B: Implementation is on a gradual (ie, every year) basis of the three (or thereabouts) most important simplifications which have a fonetic basis.
[An edited report of Jack Bovill's presentation to committee members at their January meeting]Jack began his presentation with an example of change in the commercial aircraft industry, where all the critical aspects had to come together before success was achieved. Was the same true of spelling change, and what were the critical aspects likely to be?
1. Do u enjoy the idea of expanding the ground work on
introducing spelling reform, affecting:
a) The Costs, the saving of the same, or
b) Communicating, media of various kinds, or
c) The Benefits of introducing spelling reforms?
2. In which order would u rate your interest?
3. Do u have email?
4. Would u feel comfortable being part of a team, whom u may never see, but with whom u are in regular contact on a subject of common interest?
5. Can u undertake to report back on limited assignments that test the validity or otherwise of ideas generated by your team'?
6. Would u feel ready to be a leader of a small group who have selected themselves, supporting them as necessary and leading them as required'?
7. Have u worked collaboratively in small teams which have a limited life span?